Exceptional Care, Modern Facilities

Step-by-Step Guide to Making a Complaint

Step 1: Informal Complaint (Stage 1)

You can raise the issue with staff by phone, or in person. The issue might be resolved without the need to make a formal, written complaint. We aim to have resolved your complaint within 2 working days. We will document your concerns and how we resolved the issue. We use this information to improve our service

Step 2: Formal Complaint (Stage 2)

If you are unhappy with the response you receive after raising the issue, you can make a formal complaint or request that the matter is formally investigated

You can do this by writing a letter or an email to us. If you are unable to do this, we can assist you to do so or arrange for an independent person (advocate) to assist you.

Time frame: A written response must be provided by the us as soon as possible and in any case no later than 30 working days after receipt of the complaint.  If the 30-working day timeframe cannot be complied with, we will give you a written response informing you when you will receive a response and a reason for the delay.

Step 3: What to Include in your Complaint

In your written complaint, include the following information:

  • your name;

  • phone number;

  • email address;

  • who was involved;

  • dates and times of the experience;

  • an accurate description of what happened;

  • what you want to happen now;

  • and you can attach any relevant documentation.

Step 4: Where to Send Your Complaint

Post/Email: Send your letter or email to the nominated complaints officer within the nursing home. We will provide you with contact details for the complaints officer.

Phone: You can call us on 091 483290

A complaints officer in the Nursing Home will be nominated to investigate your complaint. The complaints officer will follow up your complaint.

Following a full investigation about the complaint, the complaints officer will either uphold the complaint or not and present the reasons for that decision, any improvements recommended and any details of the review process in a written response.

Step 5: Internal Review of Complaint (Stage 3)

If you are unhappy with the decision you receive, you can ask your us to appoint a review officer, who is different to the person who carried out the original investigation, to review the decision.

Timeframe: The review officer will present the findings of the review in a written response, as soon as possible and in any case no later than 20 days after receipt of your request. If the 20-working day timeframe cannot be complied with, you should receive a written response informing you when you will receive a response and a reason for the delay.

Step 6: External Review of Complaint (Stage 4)

If you want an external organisation to look at how your complaint has been handled, you can contact the Ombudsman or other regulatory organisations such as HIQA to consider your complaint.

The Office of the Ombudsman is open Monday to Friday between 9.15am and 5.00pm

Address: 6 Earlsfort Terrace, Dublin 2, D02 W773.
Phone: +353 1 639 5600
Twitter: @OfficeOmbudsman


Phone: 021 240 9646
Email: concerns@hiqa.ie
Post information to: Concerns, HIQA, George’s Court, George's Lane, Smithfield, Dublin 7, Ireland.

Who Can Help Me Make a Complaint?

Complaints officer

The complaints officer is a member of staff employed by the Nursing Home who investigates complaints made about the care you have experienced in that service.

It is the role of the complaints officer to independently and fairly investigate complaints relating to the care you have experienced in the service. The complaints officer will keep you up-to-date on the status of your complaint.

The complaints officer will also assist you in ensuring that you have included all the relevant information in your complaint and will explain to you the complaints process.

The complaints officer can also refer you to independent advocacy for assistance through the complaints process, such as support from the Patient Advocacy Service.

Note: The Nursing Home will provide you with a copy of the complaint procedure and the contact details of their complaints officer.

Patient Advocacy Service-How they can help

PAS can provide you with advice and information in relation to the complaints process in the Nursing Home. They can offer you information and one to one support to make a formal complaint to the Nursing Home and at every stage after that, including making complaints to external organisations like the Ombudsman.

  • PAS can help you to understand the complaints process of the Nursing Home.

  • PAS can explain what to include in your complaint and how to write a complaint.

  • PAS can explain your options if there is a delay to your complaint, or if you are not happy with the outcome of your complaint.

  • PAS can explain how to escalate your complaint and where to escalate your complaint to.

You can apply for information and support from one of our Advocates from the Patient Advocacy Service by phoning our national line 0818 293003, or by emailing info@patientadvocacyservice.ie

Can I complaint on someone else’s behalf (such as an elderly parent)

Any person receiving a health or personal social service from a Nursing Home can make a complaint. Where a person cannot make a complaint independently due to age, illness or disability, the complaint can be made on their behalf by a close relative or carer of the person, any person who by law has the affairs of the person, any legal representative of the person, any other person with the consent of the person, any person who was a close relative or carer of a deceased person who at that time would have been entitled to complain, any other person who is appointed as prescribed in the regulations.

You can appoint anyone to advocate on your behalf, including family or friends, you may wish to appoint a professional advocate.  You may also appoint a legal representative to advocate for you. The complaints officer can provide you with further details on options available to you if you are not happy about the outcome of your complaint.  If you are not satisfied with the response you received after raising the issue, and you wish to make a formal complaint, you may be eligible for support from the Patient Advocacy Service. The Patient Advocacy Service is wholly funded by the Department of Health and therefore is fully independent of the HSE and other service providers. Staff of the Patient Advocacy Service are professional, trained in complaints advocacy and bound by a code of practice.

You can make a request to access records and information relating to the complaint, subject to the relevant law, e.g., Freedom of Information Act, General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).

Brampton Care Home Facilities
Brampton Care Home Our Team and Careers